Thursday, April 02, 2009

Stupid Hits Home

This one hurts a little. This is from Sagemont Church in Houston, which is the church where I grew up. My mother still attends this church. The pastor, John Morgan is someone I greatly respect and have spoke of highly on this site, but for the life of me I can't figure out what he was thinking on this one.

I just can't wrap my brain around the fact that this 170 foot cross sits less than a mile from my Mom's house. I'm speechless. Seeing this today was like a kick in the gut.

I'll have more to say later, because I just don't know what to say really. For now, let me just share the article from the local newspaper. It speaks for itself.

Last week, Sagemont Church constructed a massive cross on its property near Beltway 8.

In the works since 2007, the completed structure stands 170 feet tall with a span of 60 feet at the horizontal beam. It is made of painted steel and weighs 90 tons and took three days to erect.

The purpose of the cross is to positively inspire passing drivers, according the Sagemont Church' senior pastor, Dr. John D. Morgan.

"We hope everyone who drives by will be reminded how much God loves them," he said.

Like all other Sagemont projects, the cross was being built debt-free. Morgan noted that the church has not borrowed money since 1975, allowing Sagemont to do other things with money that many churches spend on interest each year.

This past year, the church spent approximately $1.5 million on local and global mission efforts. The church also gave a large sum to aid the community after Hurricane Ike, just as it did after Hurricanes Katrina and Rita.

Morgan declined to put a monetary price tage on the structure, but humbly said, "It cost God his son and Jesus his life."

Due to Federal Aviation Administration regulations, the cross will be lit at night, allowing it to be seen for several miles in any direction.

The base of the structure features a 2,500 square-foot platform designed to accommodate weddings, Bible study classes, and other special events throughout the year. The platform hovers over a small lake that includes an area for baptisms. The bank of the lake features an amphitheater designed to seat approximately 250 people. Two walkways connect the amphitheater to the platform...

...The cross structure is complete, but final details on the project will be finished over the next few weeks. Upon completion, the cross area will be open to the public at all times for people to come pray, picnic, or just look.


Here's some other links on this I found:

• Another article and video news story on the cross.
• A Sagemont Church blog detailing the construction with more pictures.
• Pictures of the cross at night from the freeway.

Wow!!

9 Comments:

Blogger ryan said...

Doesn't really give you that warm fuzzy feeling its meant to does it?

It seems to me that they feel more threatened than anything. For what other reason would they put something like that up?

4/02/2009 8:17 PM  
Blogger Eric3 said...

I am suddenly reminded of this scene I once saw beside the interstate in Ohio...
http://www.roadsideamerica.com/story/9786

4/02/2009 8:35 PM  
Blogger dufflehead said...

there really is no justification for this . . . thing . . .

"Morgan declined to put a monetary price tage on the structure, but humbly said, "It cost God his son and Jesus his life.""
need some wine with that cheese?

the park i could agree with. the other thing is just a penis extension that borders on idolatry.

4/02/2009 11:46 PM  
Blogger Unknown said...

Stupid as hell.

But: "This past year, the church spent approximately $1.5 million on local and global mission efforts. The church also gave a large sum to aid the community after Hurricane Ike, just as it did after Hurricanes Katrina and Rita."

I can put up with a fair amount of stupid for that.

4/03/2009 4:24 AM  
Blogger ProperVillain said...

Nice way to light a significant amount of money on fire for a vanity project.

4/03/2009 12:25 PM  
Blogger Zeke said...

I'm so impressed by the size of that cross that I am compelled to go back to church and submit to orthodox doctrine.

Actually, not.

4/03/2009 3:28 PM  
Blogger lowendaction said...

I guess this might spawn a new movement: Cross Tipping!

Check out this pretty cool doc about the cross. It covers a lot of other areas too, but it has a pretty revealing look at the history/meaning of the cross. It definitely changed my whole perspective to one of the modern churches favorite and most effective logos.

ignorance.

4/07/2009 8:58 AM  
Blogger SocietyVs said...

Problem #1 - if that cross ever falls it will cause some serious property damage and maybe take a few lives in the process...and all that for a structure that says very little (IMO).

Waste of cash - fo' sho' - and I would personally reprimand this person if I ever met him - why does he need some stamp on the earth of his participation in it (let's just say - he pretends to walk humbly with His God - all the while planting a flag on his piece of the moon).

I don't like it - not to say I am against the symbology of the cross - the size and complexity of this standing t.

4/07/2009 10:33 AM  
Blogger jaigner said...

I grew up at Sagemont, too, but have not attended there in nearly 10 years. My parents are still members there. They've done some strange things, but this is bizarre. Just really weird. Bro. John's statement about it costing Jesus His life is equally strange. Love so amazing, so divine demands my soul, my life, my all, not a giant cross on the church property.

Blessings.

http://jaaigner.blogspot.com/

8/06/2009 8:28 AM  

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home