Saturday, April 22, 2006

McLaren Snubs SCP

Brian McLaren has been soliciting bloggers to write reviews for his book, "The Secret Message of Jesus". Yours truly has been bypassed, ignored, and slighted. SCP hasn't been invited to the party. I wonder why.

First Zeke got invited to share his feedback and then most recently so did Brandon. Each recieved a complimentary copy of the book from McLaren's publicist so they could share with their readers what they thought about the book. I on the other hand, was not presented that opportunity. It couldn't have been that McLaren was holding a grudge for being named our Person of the Year in 2005... could it? Nah... he's an emergent, forward-thinking Christian... no way!

In all fairness, knowing the way these things work, McLaren himself probably has no clue or control over who is getting copies of the book for review.

Well, as dissappointing as it is to not be considered as important a voice as Zeke and Brandon are in the blog world, my ego has suffered worst blows. In all honesty, I think there is a way to recover from this embarrasment.

I offer to write an unsolicited critical review of "The Secret Message of Jesus" here on the site. Much like Consumer Reports does in reviewing products, I will buy my own copy of McLaren's book so as to not be swayed by his generosity. This will insure an unbiased and honest look at McLaren's work.

So I am going to pick up the book tomorrow and pay full price (I am sure $20 or more) at my local Christian bookstore and get to the task at hand. If McLaren's listening (or Tony if you want to pass this along), please know I will be fair and honest. You can feel free to link to my unsolicited review once it is posted. Better yet, you could come visit us on the podcast to discuss the book. Yeah, like that'll ever happen.

13 Comments:

Blogger Rev. Kidd said...

I guess he didn't want to be known as a stupid church person well you know what he just made it to number 1

4/22/2006 9:24 PM  
Blogger Zeke said...

I wrote to participate in the review copy offer after I read about it on McLaren's site. Nobody asked me, anyway. But it boggles the mind how they missed making sure you guys were on their distribution list. You and Brian go way back, you should call him. That big lug owes you one.

4/23/2006 12:18 AM  
Blogger Steve said...

Oh yes... Jeff... you are correct. I will be heading over to Barnes and Noble this morning to pick one up. I have no idea what I was thinking. But just in case they don't have it, I might have to walk into the dark side.

Zeke... that's right, I forgot about that. You're like the student that offers to do extra credit or clean the erasers after school... I had to laugh! And I would call Brian but I inadvertently deleted him from my speed dial....

4/23/2006 8:20 AM  
Blogger Brandon said...

I, rather out of the blue, was asked to read the book. And, while I'm glad to have received my free copy (regular price you'll be dropping 19.99, Steve), I'm not promising a positive review.

A lot of what's said is what I've written about for the past two years and isn't a particular surprise to me. I like the book, mostly. But, I will have a thing or two to say about the arrogance and rhetoric of the term "Secret".

I suppose you'll have to tune in to read about that.

Anyway, Steve, you shouldn't feel too snubbed. I'm relatively certain McLaren hasn't a clue who I am, nor does he particularly care if I like his book. Really, I think his publicist is concerned with getting a link from more pages to the Amazon site with Brian's book on it. (Which, for 19.99, I'm happy to oblige.) ;)

4/23/2006 11:58 AM  
Blogger Leifh said...

Brandon,
Wait till you read one of the best 'chapters' in the book -the appendix titled "why didn't we get it soon?" (thus the 'secret')--before you judge any arrogance. In addition possibly to clever marketing (can you say "Da Vinci Code the movie?) I think it will make a lot more sense after you read that appendix. Brilliant and v. helpful chapter.

And for the record, like Zeke, I had seen the offer on Brian's site of the free copies for those who wanted to blog (or in my case, podcast) about it. So even those Brian is an acquaintance, and I had the interview with him, I think it was actually because I wrote in.

-Leif
www.wonderosity.org


PS Steve, if you haven't see this, it is HILARIOUS!

4/23/2006 2:59 PM  
Blogger Steve said...

Bought the book from the dark side.... it was closer then Barnes and Noble.... so much for my own sense of values. Of course those apparently were shot awhile back.

So the reading commences.

4/23/2006 9:57 PM  
Blogger Zeke said...

Zeke... that's right, I forgot about that. You're like the student that offers to do extra credit or clean the erasers after school... I had to laugh!

1 email to publicist: $0.00
1 review copy of book: $0.00
Watching Steve drive to a Christian bookstore to plunk down $20: priceless.

4/23/2006 11:46 PM  
Blogger Bruce_Almighty said...

Secret Knowledge....hmmm, that should automatically set on warning flags.

I assume that McLaren is the keeper of all secret knowledge.

Someone's got a case of the Gnostics.

4/24/2006 1:11 PM  
Blogger Unknown said...

Someone's got a case of the ASSumptions. Don't forget to wipe.

4/24/2006 9:50 PM  
Blogger Zeke said...

Assume makes an ass out of u and me...

4/24/2006 10:35 PM  
Blogger Katarina said...

Have any of you read "A New Kind of Christian"? If so, what do you think about that book?

4/25/2006 5:02 AM  
Blogger pablo sebastian ko said...

well. I read the book a while ago. and i still feel the aftershocks. amazing. bought two copies for friends.

5/13/2006 2:09 AM  
Blogger FlipTheComposer said...

sounds boring. Does anyone here read the bible?

lolerzomgzkthxbi.

6/26/2006 11:29 PM  

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home