Tuesday, January 17, 2006

Done! . . . . (maybe?)

With the quotes I just copied below from MLK resonating in my brain, I think I am going to heed my own goals for 2006 and check out for a while. Simplify things you know?

All the talk about the church, what should be done, what we can do, what we say and don't say... all of my own drivel at times.... so many words.... so much is written but so little is done. I am the guiltiest of all.

Talking to my friend Zeke today made me think about what's really important.... and what scared me is that I don't know the answer to that question anymore.

What has happened here over the past few months has excited me and scared the shit out of me at the same time. (Thanks Billie Joe of Green Day for that line from "Bullet in the Bible".)

How long will I go away? I don't know. Probably not long knowing me and my big mouth. I just wanted to give everybody a heads up. (Doesn't every blogger do this from time to time... I've seen it before... I love the blog world, it saved my life... I just feel the need to crawl into a hole for awhile. I am sick of all the words I write and all the words I read).

Let's start doing stuff instead of talking and writing about stuff. (What stuff am I talking about... I don't know, you decide - whatever you are passionate about). I know it's all important... the talking... the writing... the doing... all of it makes a difference.

Maybe it's just me or this 4th glass of wine talking.... who knows.

I plan on writing more on my personal site (http://stevechastain.typepad.com) since that is what so much of this is all about...me! Isn't that what every blog is about regardless of the title? It's what we are experiencing, what we are going through, what we think about.. our ideas, our opinions, our history, our present, our passions! Everything is run through the filter of US! Nothing is altruistic.

I don't want to change the world. I want to change me. I am a fool according to MLK as I "proclaim myself to obscurity."

In the midst of being away for awhile from SCP as a blogger I hope I can learn to forget myself a bit in the process.

See you guys soon... I hope.

P.S. The podcast will continue.... no worries there. I love hearing myself talk.

P.S.S. I will post links and things occasionally as they are applicable, but I am just not going to say much here about the church or SCP for awhile.

P.S.S.S. Brian McLaren is the SCP 2006 Smartest Church Person of the Year... he's a MAC guy.... what more can I say. I knew he was a genius!

P.S.S.S.S. On second thought... things might not change at all. I might just be full of it, but geesh do I sure feel like dropping away from everything for awhile. We'll see!

9 Comments:

Blogger Mrs Zeke said...

I guess this means I only get to stalk you in one place. What a bummer your one of my fav people to stalk.

walk in peace brother you are loved and at least part of you will be missed.

1/17/2006 9:14 PM  
Blogger Zeke said...

After my brief hiatus, I posted as much in three weeks as I had in 3 months. Sometimes a little time away recharges the batteries.

1/17/2006 10:28 PM  
Blogger Ron Henzel said...

Actually, an additional post-script would would be a "P.P.S." (post-post-script) rather than a "P.S.S." (post-script-script?). And so on.

1/18/2006 3:28 AM  
Blogger Zecryphon said...

Have a good rest, I'll miss you. I know exactly what you mean by feeling burned out by it all. I've made three posts at my blog and here it is I'm overdue for a new post, but I just don't have anything to say really. Maybe I'll do a 20 questions thing. Take care!

1/18/2006 5:25 AM  
Blogger Unknown said...

Blogging is damned hard, especially when we're trying to exchange serious ideas. Discussions are too easily taken on tangents, ideas are too often attacked without being fully understood, and anonymity breeds a falseness that undermines the whole enterprise. I think that's why it's so easy to get burned out doing this. Effort upon effort, and still you never fully get what's inside you out there because there are a billion other people trying to talk over you.

So I think it's wise to lay low for a bit, perhaps even explore alternate ways of communicating. You've certainly made more than enough contacts in the last 10 months to establish a base for substantive discussion.

If not that, at least you've made some friends.

1/18/2006 6:06 AM  
Blogger Steve said...

Ishmael... your right, how absolutely stupid of me. I am going to leave it though as a testimony.

Dorsey... I don't know if "burned out" is the correct word actually. I woke up thinking this morning of about 100 things to post about, but would it really matter. Last night I got an email from someone breaking down the emergent, wanting to formulate with me the ideas and you know.... my only response is... I'm done!

Seriously though I read the MLK quotes and I thought how this one man did so much and said so many profound things in so little time on this earth. I just want my actions and words to count... not only in number but in impact.

Or another way of putting it... by saying less can I actually say more!

1/18/2006 7:38 AM  
Blogger Zecryphon said...

Steve, do you think Dr. King sat down and thought of profound things to say? Or do you think he just spoke from his heart and people thought "this guy is profound!" I'm going to say in my opinion it's the latter. As I'm sure everyone knows when we try and sound profound, we really just sound like idiots.

I too have wondered if what I say has any impact or if anyone actually cares. But then you have to ask yourself, "why did I start blogging in the first place"? Was it to change people's lives, to influence their thoughts or as a way of getting all the junk in my head out there so it's not all so bottled up and I feel like I'm going to explode.

It sounds like some time off is just what you need. A time to figure out what your motivation is behind all of this stuff and who Steve Chastain really is.

1/18/2006 9:49 AM  
Blogger Jeff Kursonis said...

I think it could be that you are about to transition from detox to emerger.

1/18/2006 3:35 PM  
Blogger Brandon said...

You were serious about that wine thing, weren't you? ;)

grace and peace (in abundnce)

1/18/2006 8:42 PM  

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home