Thursday, June 23, 2005

Fix You

Well it finally happened. God spoke. Just when I didn't think it possible he did it again. Surprised me from left field. Hit me when I didn't expect it. Didn't just hit me, but laid me out. It was a one punch knockout - God style.

And is par for the course for me it was "rock-n-roll" that saved my life. The part that "secular" music has played in my life far outways Christian music's influence. It is not even close. There is authenticity in those that choose to do their art outside of the confines or limits of the Christian marketplace that inspires and moves me.

I downloaded the new Coldplay album from iTunes last week and as I listened to it, I couldn't stop hearing God speak to me through almost every song. One track in particular, track number 4 entitled "Fix You", ministered to me like no other. There is a promise in that song from God to each of us. Other tracks like "What If", "X & Y" and "The Hardest Part" also spoke to my heart. If you want a good listen and if you have ever experienced love, loss or grief - you will find restoration in these songs.

5 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

No building...

My church is like many in So Cal ... renting a building & ready to soon move into a "real" building. Scheduling would have it that out rent expired before the new building is ready/legal to move into - leaving us to meet in the local city park (with permits of course). It's been awesome. "Church" in the park. People wandering by that would never go to a formal "church" under most circumstances & hearing the gospel just because a bunch of believers want to get together & don't happen to have a building.

6/29/2005 9:59 PM  
Blogger Doah said...

Reading "Fix You" and "secular" music; I couldn't agree more. Every year, my own personal ALBUM OF THE YEAR is always a secular artist and, if you listen to the albums, they are full of spiritual longing and latent religious themes. I never seem to give an album that title unless it does something to my soul. For 2004, it was "Everyone Is Here" by THE FINN BROTHERS, in 2003 was "Rainy Day Music" by THE JAYHAWKS, in 2002 it was "The Rising" by BRUCE SPRINGSTEEN, even "The Invisible Band" by TRAVIS in 2001 falls under the same category. Rock 'n' Roll saved my life too and I previously credited Jackson Browne, not Jesus with getting me through my adolescence! I'll give the new Coldplay a listen and see if it comes in at the top of '05.

7/03/2005 5:13 PM  
Blogger Christian Steffen said...

This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.

7/12/2005 12:00 PM  
Blogger Mike said...

I completely agree about "Fix You," Coldplay, and other secular music in general. I think God clearly uses music as a way to speak to our hearts, no matter what it's labeled, and Christians who complain about the evils of secular music are missing out.

8/04/2005 12:56 PM  
Blogger Steve said...

So BENEATHROVER...I find it interesting that you actually admit wanting to listen to van halen, rush or ac/dc...how could a person like yourself stand such banal secular crap? It seems so "beneath" you. I am really sorry you weren't allowed to listen to such music.

You mention "praising God outright"... explain that will you? How does one praise God outright? How do you?

And I have already said I think secular music is better than Christian music. No rationalizations necessary.

Finally, explain the meaning of "have your cake and eat it too"... I am baffled by this expression. I mean, if I buy me a cake or take the time to make one, shouldn't I also be able to eat it. This one never made sense. What's so wrong with having a cake and eating it?

Gotta run...gotta go comb some woolhairs!

8/05/2005 12:09 PM  

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home